Monday, November 8, 2010

The truth about..

Manila.
It smells, its dirty, the people are forward (though say nice things such as "you are beautiful, I love you) and slightly forceful, and the food is lacking in pretty much everything. Though the supermarkets are great. I bought food there rather than going out to a restaurant or something because.. well. When you eat out and you get pork that still has pig skin on it, you dont want to eat out anymore, you know?

I arrived yesterday, at the airport at about 1:30, but the traffic was so bad that once I got in my taxi at around two, it was already three by the time I reached the hostel. I felt like I was back in Venezuela when I was sitting in the taxi in the crazy traffic, people going where they please and going whenever they want. Theres few lights, people walk across the street when they see fit, no one uses their signal lights, and there are Jeepneys (city buses) and tricycles (bikes with a sidecar for a passenger to sit in) swerving in and out of traffic. Its quite different than home, as I am sure you can imagine.

My hostel is actually really great. I've already met alot of people, two of which I am going to be spending a few days with in the coming week, and another few that are easy to talk to and have alot of interesting stories to tell. My companions to be are Jules (or Julian), an Irish guy from Glasgow who has been staying in the Philippines for five months now, and his friend Lynie, a local girl here who works on relief missions all over the country. They're both amazing to say the least. 

Theres really not much to tell about Manila. Walking down the street is a hastle, because every man that I pass tries to sell me something or talk to me, or the bit that I dont mind, just saying hello. And everyone calls me ma'am, which is nice, but strange at the same time. The children here are very forward, and have gone so far as to follow me for almost a full block asking for change. I avoid giving it to them because I know most of them don't actually get to keep their money, but I have given one or two some food that I had bought.

I am really glad that I am not staying here for another day. Theres not alot to do during the day. Though at night, there are alot of clubs that you can go to that are around, some with Karaoke and some with live music which is really quite good. The filipino's are really quite talented when it comes to things like dancing and singing. I went to a few clubs last night with live music, and that was enjoyable. But during the day the streets are crowded, you are constantly hastled to take a taxi or a tricycle/jeepney, and no where to really go. I am hoping Makati is a bit better.
Northern Luzon is supposed to be much more beautiful. I leave tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Yay. I am really happy to see that you are staying in hostels. Reading your blog reminds me of how I was when I was traveling. Just remember to enjoy every part of it, even the bad food, the nasty weather and the annoying people trying to sell you things. Don't spend the day indoors! I did that a lot, especially at beaches and I really regret that now. Even do normal things like go to a movie or have tea at a cafe, you'll always find something rememberable, different but yet enjoyable about it. And be outgoing, which I don't think is an issue for you.

    Miss you twin <3

    ReplyDelete