Monday, December 20, 2010

WOWZA!

Okay, so I have been neglecting this for quite some time. I know I am a bad person. But ever since Don got here, I've been too busy/distracted to actually get my ass on a computer and do anything. At the moment, he is upstairs being very sick and sleeping :(, so I am taking this opportunity to get online and do what I promised certain people I would do. ;P

Days are kind of meshing together. I can't believe that in 1 weeks time it will be two months since I have been gone from home. It feels alot longer than that. I have until May still to go, but I feel like since the end of October, I have accomplished quite a bit. I have already been to six different countries (one only for three days, but still..), met some extremely amazing people, encountered some difficult life lessons, and learned shitloads about myself all along the way.

I am so excited to see my new baby brother, and to see how my younger one interacts with the new one when I get home. I bet he is the most adorable thing in the world. I miss Ashton alot, I find myself thinking about buying things for him alot, and then am so kindly reminded by Donny that whatever I buy, I carry on my back for the next 4 months. And so, because of that I haven't really bought much stuff. But I am now in Thailand, and will be purchasing tons of stuff, just so I can send it home with Don ;D. Ah resourceful I know.

Since I last posted, we finished up in Malaysia which I decided wasn't really my place, gone to the islands of Thailand (Koh Tao, Koh Samui) and had a blast just kind of kicking it back, doing some simple tours and hanging out with a couple of good friends we met along the way, and then went up to Siem Reap in Cambodia to see the temples of Ankgor Wat.

Though I really enjoyed my time in the expensiveness that was the Thai islands, and getting away from constantly moving around and worrying about where I am going next, by the end of it I just wanted to get out of there. I was sad about leaving our new friends behind (Don and I agreed that we were in need of new company), I was glad to be getting on to a new place and back into exploring new things. Theres only so much beach resortiness I can take. ;P

Cambodia was beautiful. The people there are amazingly nice (almost like people in the Philippines but more conserved), bowed to show their respect for you, always offered to help, and didn't try to rip me off too much, which was a nice change. And the temples, which were really more like ruins of temples, were insane. It's hard to imagine an ancient time where people would pour their hearts and souls into these intracate works of art. Churches have nothing on these things.
In Phnom Penh (their capital), Don and I also managed to have time to go to their genocide museum. Sometimes, I don't understand the human race, and the things that people can do to one another for the sake of "their country". Interrogating, torturing, and murdering millions of your own people doesn't seem like it would do much for your own country, now does it? But, everything is always more complicated than it seems to one who wasn't actually put through the horror and turmoil that those people went through. Even those who were the ones committing the genocide.

ANYWAYS! Less disturbing/depressing topic. Don and I are now situated in northern Thailand in a city called Chiang Mai, where we will spend the next four days trekking, rock climbing, temple hopping, and possibly elephant bathing (fingers crossed).

I am counting down the days that Donavan leaves, because I am actually really nervous for his departure. I know that I meet people easily, and there is a possibilty of meeting up with some friends along the way that I already know from Thailand, but I will once again be alone. And thats exciting and terrifying all at once.
But everything depends on how you choose to interpret the situation, and the outcome of that situation.
Heres hoping for a positive experience.

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, I missed seeing your posts! I am so envious of your adventures - especially how your outlook will change when you arrive back here.

    Despite some of the less pleasing things about the trip, you sound like you're having a blast. (: Take lots of pretty pictures, I love seeing them!

    I also obviously miss you like jeez

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're having such a great time! I feel like I won't be worthy of your worldliness when you get back. Keep on going!

    -Athena S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my biggest regrets from traveling was NOT getting enough souvenirs. Yeah, whatever you buy, you will carry. That is what I thought of the whole time. But now I am back home a year later and have little to show for it, or remember my times. If you can, buy and send home!!

    ReplyDelete