Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Same Same but Different.

The past week and a bit has been a little hectic. I spent a few days at a homestay that ended up serving me food that made me really ill, I met a British couple that I really liked and then ended up traveling with into Laos a few days early, and met some funky people along the way as well. 

So, I have no been in Laos for about a week now, and already I have decided that I like it quite a bit more than Thailand. The scenery is not completely different, but probably the most beautiful thus far, the people are much more laid back, the country as a whole is a lot less touristy, and no one here is in a rush. Though the people are much poorer, and there are way less cities and more little villages with homes built out of bamboo and wood, I get a really good vibe from the people. They are a little less smiley, but they aren't constantly trying to rip me off, and sell me things they know aren't worth it, and they are very helpful in a sincere way. I'm loving it.

My new travel companions are great. They remind me a lot of friends back home, and it just makes it so easy to enjoy my time. Time since I have been with them has gone by so much faster than time did when I was on my own. I always knew that I was more of a "have people around for fun" kind of person, but this trip has really made me realize just how much that is true. It's not that I need it, necessarily, but I definitely enjoy myself more and have a better time when I have people to enjoy myself with. I mean, when you do excursions such as my rafting trip, you meet people. But it's not the same. You don't have time to really get to know them, you just scratch the surface of how that person really is. With these two (Rosie and Nick), I've had the time to get to know their true personalities, what they enjoy and don't enjoy, how they interact with other people, etc. I love making new friends :)

We have met some really interesting characters along the way. One, an Iraqi flutist who also joined us from the homestay in Soppong, Thailand, that was actually a really creepy man we tried to get rid of as soon as possible. This man has turned into a running joke in which we refer to a "water closet", "Narnia", and "Mr.Tumnus". Long story short, inside jokes well good.

Another two are lovely Jason and Marc of South Africa. They joined us in the north of Laos, in sleepy Muang Sing, where we went off on a two day trekking trip to a hill tribe village "Akha" where we were able to interact with the people, and kill ourselves with six hour days of climbing up and down mountains. Good times? I think so. They are heaps of fun, though Marc can be a bit of a downer, and they know how to have a good time even if we are in the middle of nowhere freezing our tushes off. They are still with us here in Luang Prabang, and are hopefully going to be coming with us to Vang Vieng where I will spend my birthday floating down a river in a tube. Swaannkkyy.

Luang Prabang is absolutely beautiful. Well, at night anyway. The streets light up with white christmas-type lights, the night market starts up, people come out in their best clothings to make their way to cheap but delicious restaurants, and all the buildings are old colonial french style. Just stunning. We have spent many days here, just enjoying the Mekong on one side and the Nam Tha river on the other, cheap baguettes and Lao style soups, and the beautiful sunset over the Phou Si mountain every night. 

I love Laos. :) Truth.

PS - 12 weeks in.

2 comments:

  1. YAY! So glad to hear you are having a great time, and have met more fun peeps!

    I enjoy reading your update and checking out your pics on fb so thanks for taking the time while traveling to check in!

    :)

    Have a fantastic birthday sounds like a GOOD time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're enjoying your time! Super jealous. XD You're such an amazing person, Tera...

    -Athena S.

    ReplyDelete