Sunday, March 13, 2011

Raining in Baaaalllliiiiiiii. Minus the Tsunamis.

Dear world,
To start off, Talon and I are fine. There were no earthquakes nor tsunamis in the area that we are (Ubud, Bali), and we are still truckin' on in our adventure. 

Okay! So, what's been going on hasn't been much different from the other countries, except now I'm in Indonesia. The people here are all much friendlier than those in Vietnam, to start off with. They all call women darling and men boss, and even though they start off at extremely high prices I find haggling with them is much more fun than haggling with anyone else I've come into contact with. They really do find it a game. Not only do they smile and joke with you the whole time, they also show little bits of affection during, such as perhaps hitting you on the arm playfully, spanking you, or just putting their hand on your shoulder with a sweet smile. It's quite amusing. Even if it's obvious that they're just doing it to make you like them so you'll purchase their merchandise without question of whether or not you're getting ripped off. 

Also, it's nice to be somewhere that has a different religion than anywhere else that I've been so far. The temples and architecture definitely take the cake for everywhere that I have been. The Hindu religion with all it's different Gods is quite amazing, and despite how complicated it is, it's really cool to learn about. 

Starting off in Kuta was probably the best decision I made. If I had ended my trip on that disgusting, white-drunken person infested, open-air mall of a city, I think I would have been really disappointed. It really held nothing to it. But once we got into the countryside with all the beautiful rice paddy's, the palm trees reaching for the sky, and the hot weather that cools off with the rain every evening, I am really enjoying it here.

We moved on to Ubud from there, which is the 'culture center' of Bali. We've seen two traditional dance shows, an active volcano, some temples, and even did a cooking course (amaziiingggg!!). Oh, and we got attacked by some monkeys that stole my photo shop, that was fun. It's okay though! Even though they attempted to bite us, we got off scott free. 

This has been the first time that I've been in a country (just one little island of it, mind you), where I could base myself in just one little town and make my way around by just catching taxi's and then returning back to the city by the end of the day. It's much more convenient than having to lug around our bags everywhere, especially when it's near the end of the trip and, lets just say, I have enough shit by now. 

It's been really nice to have Talon around. I don't feel like I need to interact with other people as much, which is nice because it can be quite exhausting. It's way cheaper with someone else as well. If Talon weren't here, I'd be paying heaps of money for things, and I don't really think I could afford it. Which brings me to the fact that, even though the people are really great and the countryside and temples are very unique in a way, Indonesia (or at least Bali) has been the most expensive country that I've been to so far (with the exception of Japan). Maybe not the BEST place to have ended my trip, but who knows whether I would have gone crazy with money if I didn't. One could never say, I suppose.
Oh, and I guess Talons company is good to. :P (Just kidding honey.)

Bali really has turned into a vacation destination, even for me. Beaches everywhere, everyone speaking english, eating out every night (no street food in these parts :( ). That pretty much says vacation to me. Which, I don't think I really mind. 

So, with that update I leave you probably for quite a while. I just see a lot of beaches ahead of us, and so probably won't have much to write about until Australia. You'll know, obviously by the updates, but I'm just saying.

Oh, and it's raining again. I love it. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh man... that sounds amazing!! Too bad it's so expensive, but it sounds like you're having a shitton of fun! Love you, Tera! :3

    -Athena

    ReplyDelete