Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Harujuku lovin'.

Tokyo, Japan.

Truth be told, it is alot bigger than I expected it to be, but not quite as warm. Yet I sweat all the same, yuck.

Since I took a night bus here at eleven pm last night, didn't sleep much, and then didn't nap I am pretty darn exhausted. But I enjoyed myself thoroughly today none the less. I can definitely say it was a productive day for being the first one. And I truly got to see the difference between an older city like Kyoto compared to newer capital Tokyo. Though I must say, I much rather the simple transit system to the overly complicated one of Tokyo. 
Today, I began my time with my new traveling buddies (J.D, Vic and Errol from back home) at Tokyo tower. Trust me Shawndy, you would not have enjoyed.
We went all the way to the top of the tower, 250 m high, which allows you to see as far as you can. Now, when I say Tokyo is big, you know I am not lying when being at the top of Tokyo tower and looking out as far as the eye can see, you still see nothing but city in all directions.  Big. Oh, and you can see Mount Fuji!

Afterwards, we made our way to Harujuku, where I instantly fell in love. Its hard, being someone who loves to shop for odd things for cheaper than normal, to NOT love it there. I even ended up buying myself things (after forcing Errol to wait for me in every store to try on random things that I really only wanted to see but never intended to buy..). It really is beautiful, and interesting, to see so many people crammed down a little lane buying different styled clothing than what I'm used to. After that, we made our way to Shibuya, which is almost like a downtown sort of area. Lights, and advertisements, the stereotypical Japan you see in movies where people cross from every which side of the street all at once and the skyscrapers etc, etc. Shibuya is not as marketesque, but more like a scene filled with mall after mall after mall. So the vibe being much different than Harujuku, it wasn't as liked by myself. But I'm loving every minute of it.

Afterwards, we came back to the Aizuya inn. This place is really quite beautiful. It's small, and quaint and filled with maps and guidebooks for japan, the rooms are clean and the staff are amazing. I pretty much immediately fell in love with it. To stay for a night is cheap as well, and my room (though small) is lovely.

Hmm.. highlights of my morning/arrival? 
Bus was an hour and a half late.
I got super lost when I finally got off the train.
 I got stuck in the train door.
An old man waved and yelled at me with his umbrella for being in the way.
I paid 500 yen for a phone card that I will never use again so I could get ahold of Errol.
I found out that, after all my troubles, Errol was actually waiting at Tokyo station for me at 7am, but left at 745 because he thought he missed me. Really? My bus wasnt even there yet. Eff you.
Sugar daddy for the win?

1 comment:

  1. Wooow, the Tokyo Tower sounds awesome. ;_;

    Shibuya always sounded really fascinating to me, but Harajuku seems to be really really amazing, too.

    Caught in a train door? Oww

    BUT IT ALL SOUNDS AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete