Saturday, February 12, 2011

D'Nam

Theres something about Vietnam that just screams "completely different than the rest of Southeast Asia". It might be the obvious difference in the amount of larger cities that have true buildings in them rather than just little villages scattered along roads filled with tiny huts made of bamboo; It might be the style of the buildings, and the mystical feels that the towns give off due to the beautiful  multi-colored lanterns that are strewn from building to building; Maybe its the intense traffic of millions of scooters and motorbikes constantly whizzing past  throughout the day, not bothering to make sure theres no traffic coming before going through intersections, but rather just honking their horns and hoping that the other vehicles stop; Perhaps it's the style of the temples that are build within the cities, and how there are more Pagodas with simple temples rather than the kitsch, bedazzled Buddhist temples scattered all over Laos and Thailand; It might even be the huge graveyards that are plopped randomly within the millions of rice fields and immense countryside between cities, that look so different from our own with families plotted within their own little graveyard in a graveyard. But I think it's most likely a mixture of everything together.

Really, Vietnam feels almost like I'm in a less developed, less friendly Japan. Yes, less friendly. The one thing that I must say I don't enjoy about Vietnam, so far, is the obvious "I just want your money" feel I get whenever I walk into most stores. Everything has a "local vs. tourist" price, and sometimes it's extremely hard to just let it go when you know you're being scammed. But there are some honest people who give you honest prices, and will haggle with you for the fun of it. So, the people are kind of a bittersweet experience compared to those of the other countries I've been to, which I almost always loved.

So far, my favourite experience in Vietnam has been renting push-bikes to drive around a town called Hue, and nearly dying trying to navigate the roads with all the scooters because you're not aloud to ride on the sidewalks. It's intense, feeling like you're the most vulnerable vehicle on the road, yet everyone still seeing you as a car, just slower. And when you don't really know the rules of the road, it's even more scary. 

From Hue, I have moved on down to Hoi An, where I've definitely gone much more crazy than I should have. The streets are just lined with tailors (over 400 in just the center of the city), and knowing that all you have to do is bring either an image or be able to draw what you want, walk in, choose the materials you want, and haggle down a decent price is just too tempting to pass up. Even shoes. Thats right ladies, shoes. And bags. Dresses, shirts, skirts, shorts, pants. It's a girls dream, really. An expensive dream, when everything adds up, but a dream none the less. But, at the same time, everything is cheaper than at home. I've managed to only spend 210$ on two pairs of nice shoes, two skirts, a top, a sweater, two jackets, a pair of shorts, some earrings, and a nice scarf. And thats my limit. Woohooo, overload. On top of the tailors though, Hoi An holds alot of beauty as well, especially at night when all the lanterns that adorn the streets, and the river dividing the city into two, are lit up. It's an amazing site, and pictures never do anything like it justice. 

I've met some new friends that I've been enjoying Vietnam with. A couple, and the girls younger sister from New Mexico. Sachi, Matt and Gabriella are heaps of fun, and make it easy to enjoy my time here (even if I am getting scammed). Unfortunately, they are not here nearly as long as I plan to be, because they only have a month left for both Vietnam and Cambodia, but I will soak up their company while I can. I must admit, it's nice to have North Americans with me for a change from all the Brits I have been traveling with for the past month and a half. It's just nice to talk and have people know what you're talking about when you use certain slang. But I do miss the slang of the Brits, I must admit. :) 

Talon is coming out to Indonesia and Australia, and will be arriving in 23 days, which I think is what adds that extra comfort to the probability of being alone for a bit in Vietnam. I am so excited, I can't even describe in words the happiness of having someone I really know being around again, especially when that person is one of the closest people to me. Not that I haven't really enjoyed traveling on my own (kind of), it will be really nice to be able to just relax and know that the person I am with is enjoying everything we're doing just as much as I am. When you travel with people who you've only just met, it's a bit harder to have that comfort with them. Though, that being said, I am traveling with people now that I feel extremely comfortable with in that sense. Which I enjoy alot.

Anyways, enough ranting! From here I will be moving up to Hanoi to meet up with some of the many British I met along the way. Adam and Jonny from the south of Thailand, and I will be traveling the north together, and then hopefully I will be able to come back to the south and meet back up with these three. 
But for now, I am going to enjoy their company while I can. 

I can't get over the fact that my trip is half over. It's almost sad.

1 comment:

  1. Aw man that's so cool that Talon is coming to meet up with you!!! ^^
    hehehe... oh, British slang... xD
    Love ya Tera :3

    -Athena
    PS: HALFWAY POINT? PFFT! Still a long way to go! Enjoy every day!!!!

    ReplyDelete